Special exhibition: Praise of God
Ecclesiastical textiles from the age of Maria Theresia
Saturdays and Sundays
The Ecclesiastical Treasury houses important holdings of exquisite 18th century vestments that cannot be exhibited permanently for conservation reasons. Most of them were donated by Emperor Charles VI (1685–1740), his wife Elisabeth Christine (1691–1750) and their daughter Maria Theresia (1717–1780). At the time it was customary to use costly French or Italian fabrics, embellished with embroidery, for these vestments.
Imperial robes were also occasionally reworked into vestments.The exhibition offers insights into the wealth and exceptional quality of the Imperial Treasury’s holdings, which reflect the Pietas Austriaca, the profound piety of the House of Habsburg.
A selection of contemporary ecclesiastical vestments produced after designs by the artists Christof Cremer and Stephan Hann is also included in the exhibition. They document the high standard liturgical vestments are still expected to meet today as they continue to form a seminal part of the celebration of Mass.
Due to atmospheric conditions the exhibition had to be closed early and will be open again from May 13 to October 15, 2017, on Saturdays and Sundays. We apologize for any inconvenience.